I replaced the infinite switch (part number: WB24T10025) on my GE range stove, model no: JBP35C. Before putting the back-panel I wanted to test the stove to see if it is working. It worked fine but I noticed that there is some occasional spark inside the infinite switch. I also tested the other units that were working before and saw the occasional spark on those too inside the cavity of the infinite switch. The heating units are working fine and the heat is also under control and goes go high or low as the knob is turned. Wondering why there is spark inside this switch? Is it suppose to work like that? Or, there is some other problems with my stove? There were some oil and grease dripping from the exhaust fan but I cleaned where I could reach. The reason I needed to change the infinite switch in first place cause the heating unit was on high even when knob was on low setting. The old infinite switch I took out had some marks of burning inside. Will appreciate your help. Thank you.
ANSWER Hello Reggie,
The infinite switch uses a set of contacts inside the switch to control the temperature of the surface element. As the current goes through the bi-metal material, it will open the contacts and when it cools, it closes. This is normal operation and since it is the way it is designed to operate, there is nothing wrong with the unit and there is nothing to worry about.
Answered by AppliancePartsPros.com | Friday, November 02, 2012