How do I change out the defrost heater?
ANSWER Hello Ladybug K. Here are the instructions from the manufacture. Hope this helps.
You will need to disconnect the power to the unit. Empty all contents from the freezer.
Remove Freezer back Panel:
1. Press tabs that hold both freezer door glides in place at the left and the right side of the compartment .
2. Remove the freezer drawer glides.
3. Remove either the left or the right drawer glide adapter to all for removal of freezer wall.
4. Remove freezer air grill by prying inwards toward center with screwdriver in the two slots provided for release tabs.
5. Remove hex head screws holding back panel and ice maker in place.
Removing Defrost heater:
1. Follow instructions on removing freezer back wall.
2. Remove the hex head screws holding evaporator to back cabinet freezer wall.
3. Disconnect plugs from both sides of heater.
4. Release connectors from air dams on each side of evaporator coil.
5. Grip evaporator tubing at left and right sides and tug evaporator sharply forward. Then roll evaporator forward and up, exposing evaporator heater in its location amid fins at bottom of evaporator.
6. Take care to notice how and where they are placed, remove the spring clips that hold heater into evaporator fins.
7. Pull evaporator heater out of evaporator fins, being careful that heater electrical leads do not snag on evaporator.
8. Reinstall in reverse order.
Answered by AppliancePartsPros.com | Saturday, July 02, 2011