Thermador prds366 bake didn't heat but broil works normally
Gary D. • Los Altos Hills, CA • March 16, 2015
Appliance: Thermador PRDS366
My Repair & Advice Featured Story
First guess was the Bake Element, but I ran my hands around it and didn't feel any clue of a break/failure in the element. Further research indicated that the Hot Wire Relay is the next likely cause, that was really bad news because that part is unavailable anywhere. Swapped the H1 and H2 wires on the Hot Wire Relay, and found that Broil still worked, which indicated that the relay was good and the Bake Element was the likely cause. This was good news because that Hot Wire Relay is made of Unobtanium, and there was one on ebay for $450.
Pulled out the Bake Element to test with a meter, but found more really bad news, on the right side, no wire or connector came out, just a charred little stub of the thinner part of the element that would have led to the flat metal contact that goes into the connector. That's where the old element actually failed, the worst possible place.
Really didn't want to try pulling out the stove/oven, wasn't looking forward to trying to blindly fish for the wire/connector/piece of element that was on the other side of that small hole the size of my finger.
I ordered the new Bake Element on a Friday morning with standard shipping, and then went shopping for inspection cameras, grabbing tools, etc. to prepare for this challenge, but the next morning I had another idea. Between the rear burners and the wall there was a stainless steel trim piece or vent/duct, and was wondering if I could take that off from the front and maybe see behind. Luckily I found that it just lifted off, and the screws for it were taped to the inside (very smart installer, thinking ahead).
I shined a flashlight through the hole inside the oven so I could see where it was, and from the top I could see the wire to the right and above the hole. I was able to get a pick with a hooked end positioned against the wire and pulled it through the hole. The piece of the element was still in the connector.
The Bake Element arrived on Saturday via FedEx Ground, that was 1-day delivery with the standard shipping, if I paid extra for 2-day it probably would have taken longer.
Now it was back to what the normal repair should have been like which is pretty easy, but I spent some extra time cleaning the bottom of the oven while the element was out, and also cleaned up the metal bracket that the element sits on.
Put everything back together turned it on, and was really happy to see that orange glow from the new bake element. It did smoke a bit during this first test burn-in, but that was expected.
The next day I took all of the unopened and unused tools that I purchased back for a refund, put the old element in our recycling bin, and our kitchen was back to normal.