I believe we had a surge or other electrical event at our house while we were gone. Several breakers had tripped including the cooktop. After I reset it, I noticed that the two left burners will not light at all, no gas, no ignition clicks or anything. The right two burners will light but the ignition clicks never stop and there is a constant hum (never heard before) while they are on. Any ideas?
Answer Hello Pat,
This sounds like the spark module took a hit. The spark module is the part that kicks up the voltage to jump the ignitor gap to ignite the gas. The best way to test to see if the spark module requires replacement is to open the top to gain access to the spark module and swap the ignitor wires to the opposite terminals. Now this is the output. Do not cross the wires for the 120Vac input. You need to also mark the wires before swapping them so they can be returned to the original positions. If the spark module is at fault, the other ignitors will now be sparking. If the same ones spark, the module is not the issue, but you will have a wiring or grounding issue. From the humming sound you described, I'll really be surprized if the issue isn't the spark module.