Water dispenser (fridgidaire) would continue to pour water after a cup was removed
Matthew R. • Lafayette, CO • May 17, 2014
My Repair & Advice
The lever on the dispenser would retract, but the water would continue to come out the hose. I believe the issue was that the switch was sticking so that when you remove the cup, it wasn't switching off. I bought a new switch for the water side and replaced it, now all seems well. It was relatively easy to replace.
- Remove the bottom drip tray to expose 3 screws for face plate
- Remove 3 screws and remove face plate
- Remove 3 screws to pull dispenser assembly forward and out of the way
- disconnect ribbon wire between main unit and the controls for cube/crush, fast ice, etc.
- You'll need to pull the water hose out of the dispenser unit at this point so that you can get to the switch. This is a bit of a pain, but if you just use a little force by pulling up on the hose and down on the assembly, the hose will break free. It's just sitting in the assembly via a tight fitting opening.
- disconnect main wire harness on left
- pull out control assembly. Two screws hold in the two switches. The outer switch controls the water dispenser. Unscrew the switches, Pull free the two wires, and plug in the new switch.
- Reverse to reassemble. In order to make it easier to reattach the water line to the housing, pull the bottom plastic fascia to expose the water line and push it up toward the housing to get more slack. Then you can force the water line into the housing.
Most Helpful Stories
People found this story helpful
Repair Time Estimate