Flame to dry clothes would go out after about a minute and wouldn't reignite
Wendell M. • Brown Deer, WI • June 19, 2014
Appliance: Model WHIRLPOOL LGQ9858LW0
My Repair & Advice Featured Story
I'm starting with a quick background on my dryer. About 18 months ago the belt on the dryer started slipping and squealing. I had a can of belt dressing spray so I popped the top open and sprayed the belt. It actually worked for about a year before it started squealing again. For the next 6 months I had to spray it more and more often. Then the clothes stopped drying. Obviously, at this point, I had to get off my lazy ass and fix the dryer. Searched my dryer's model number on the internet and found several appliance parts sites. Appliance Parts Pros was the best organized with their pictures and videos.
I needed a belt so I started with that. Following their easy to do video I pulled off the belt and removed the drum. Doing so I found out the plastic heat shield that protects on the motor shaft behind the belt pulley was melted onto shaft. Probably from the 18 months of the belt slipping and spraying in with belt dressing. I had to clip it off with a large wire cutter. I tried taking the pulley off but it was frozen on and I didn't want to strip the slot on the motor shaft so I sprayed it down with WD40. I did this a couple of times a day until the replacement parts came in. It came off fairly easy then.
Going back to the issue with the clothes not drying. After unplugging the dryer and pulling it away from the exhaust vent, I cleaned the entire vent from were it exited the house to were it ran it to the dryers exhaust housing. I took the back panel off and used a multi-meter to check the thermal fuse, dryer cycle thermostat and high limit thermostat. They all tested good. I put the back panel and vent back on.
Inside the cabinet at the burner assembly, I checked the flame sensor and the dryer gas valve coils. They tested out good. At this point I ran out of options so I left the drum out and put the front panel back on. I removed the small 1"x1" door for the peek through window located toward the bottom left of the front panel. I started the dryer and watched the dryer igniter for about an half hour and everything now was working good. I thought I must have had a dirty contact that was clean now after pulling all the connecters off from testing.
I ordered the belt and pulley assembly. When they arrived I put the parts and drum back in the dryer and tried it out. The flame lite for about a minute, went out and didn't light again. I pulled the drum and belt back out, put the front panel back on and tried it out again. The flame stayed lite like it was suppose to and was working again. I placed the drum and belt back in checking that the motor was spinning freely and the flame wouldn't stay lite.
I read through the comment section and found some mention of the dryer gas valve coils failing even when testing good. I retested them with a multi-meter and they still tested good. At this point I took a chance and ordered the dryer gas valve kit. I put them in and everything is drying great so far after about ten loads.
Even with everything I went through, it all was simple to do with the help of the videos on the web site. This was the first time I attempted to fix a dryer.
Most Helpful Stories
People found this story helpful
Repair Time Estimate