Roller was locking up on shaft the other roller was better but still needed to be replaced as well as the pulley and belt
John M. • Palos Hills, IL • March 21, 2015
My Repair & Advice
I removed the front cover from my Whirlpool gas dryer as I had done before to replace the coils and ignitor before ... The first roller came off like dream , the second one was locked up and it was a challenge .. It was frozen to the shaft , I could not pry it off , so I broke It apart in pieces , but still had the metal cylinder on the inside of the old roller frozen onto the shaft ... after some pondering , I grabbed my dremel with a grinding disk and went at it .. I cut two grooves on on top and the other on bottom and used a screwdriver to break it off the shaft ... It worked and I was happy .. put everthing back together ... but on old machines it is a BEAR to get the drum lined up and into position with the frontpanel sandwiched together at the same time .. I used masking tape to hold the drum to the bulkhead about six pieces crossed all different ways ... it finally went together only after being called some very bad names . AGAIN my dremel saved the day ! The design on this type of gas dryer is flawed .. the dryer should have removeable front supports for the drum on both sides so that the drum is in perfect alignment before sliding the front panel on those tiny prongs and attaching the top to the sides .. it would cut hours off installation time .. just two lousy supports it would cost about $10.00 in steel to fix this design flaw on all new Whirlpool and Kenmore Dryers .