Loud noise and no heat
John B. • Watkinsville, GA • June 10, 2014
My Repair & Advice
This was a total novice job which will be apparent: Managed not to kill myself getting the microwave off the wall over the stove. disassembled the housing and watched youtube videos on discharging the capacitor (there has got to be an easier way than trying to cause an explosion). Fortunately it had difused and no sparks touching the terminals. Removed the diode and capacitor and checked both with non-digital voltmeter. Both appeared dead but it is possible the capacitor was okay since you really need a digital reader I think. Ordered the two parts and bought a digital reader - ended up being about $70 in the end after tax shipping etc. (not including the digital meter). Tried the microwave and same problem. Then went and checked the magnetron - both magnets were cracked - Duh - should have checked that first. Ordered the magnetron - well over $100 with shipping -- install was pretty easy. Fortunately remembered where all the cords hooked to the terminals and found a place for all screws for housing and - wallha - it worked! Microwave now back in place. Took a total of 2 weeks with ordering, shipping and work schedule delays. Probably saved $200 on new microwave - plus there are not any local microwave repair people around.
Most Helpful Stories
People found this story helpful
Repair Time Estimate