This 2004 GE microwave is not heating up. Everything else works: fan, light, turntable, clock works fine it just doesn't heat the food. Any suggestions?
Answer Hello Mike. You most likely have a "high voltage" side malfunction. Transformer, diode, magnetron, Capacitor. You will need to be extremely careful if you decide to test the components with a multi meter, Very high residual voltage is present, so make sure you remove power to the microwave and short across the terminals on the capacitor. The magnetron should have a reading of less than 1 ohm resistance across the two terminals, and an "open" circuit between each terminal and chassis ground. The diode/rectifier should have a resistance reading in one direction only, no resistance, or resistance in both directions indicate a faulty diode. The primary winding on the trans former should read approximately 450 Ohms resistance, the secondary winding should read 80 ohms resistance, and the filament transformer should read 100 ohms resistance. If all the readings are proper and in range, replace the magnetron.
The micro-wave starts then the fan, turntable and inside light stop working. The water still heats up. Whats causing this can you tell me?
Answer Hello Joe,
Since the fan, turntable and light are all controlled by the main power control module assembly WB27X10382 and there is nothing else that could fail that will allow the unit to continue heating, the main power control module assembly has to be bad. Do not use the unit in this state because the fan that kicks off is the fan that cools the magnetron and without it running, the magnetron will overheat and fail.