Loud buzzing and no heat with micro start and operation. Likely magnetron, but how do I test the diode and/or the high voltage transformer for proper operation. (listed as other components to the heat production) Also, are these likely to fail at about the same time as the magneton, if so replacement cost and effort maybe better spent with replacement microwave?
Answer Hello Hank. You most likely have a "high voltage" side malfunction. Transformer, diode, magnetron, Capacitor. You will need to be extremely careful if you decide to test the components with a multi meter, Very high residual voltage is present, so make sure you remove power to the microwave and short across the terminals on the capacitor. The magnetron should have a reading of less than 1 ohm resistance across the two terminals, and an "open" circuit between each terminal and chassis ground. The diode/rectifier should have a resistance reading in one direction only, no resistance, or resistance in both directions indicate a faulty diode. The primary winding on the trans former should read approximately 450 Ohms resistance, the secondary winding should read 80 ohms resistance, and the filament transformer should read 100 ohms resistance. If all the readings are proper and in range, replace the magnetron.