This fan motor on my LG LSC26905TT is making a lot of noise. I'm pretty sure it is about to fail. I haven't tried to remove it yet, but am wondering if there is a trick to getting it out. The plastic schroud it is mounted in looks a little difficult to remove. Does the whole assembly need to be removed to replace the motor and if so, what is the best method to do so?
Answer Hello Gary,
These aren't hard to do at all. The worst part of it is emptying the fresh food compartment to remove the shelves. The service manual instructions are as follows:
FAN SHROUD GRILLE
1) Remove the caps and remove the two screws holding the upper fan grille.
2) Remove the upper fan grille by pressing in the hooks with a screwdriver blade. Be careful to avoid breaking the plastic.
3) Disconnect electrical connector A and remove the upper fan grille.
4) Hold the upper part of the lower fan grille and pull it forward carefully.
5) Loosen two screws.
6) Disconnect electrical connector B on the back fan housing. Use a screwdriver blade to remove the 2 rails and the fan housing.
7) Pull the fan housing out from the top.
8) Check the adhesive foam on the upper and lower fan grilles. If it is damaged, torn, or loose, replace it.
FAN AND FAN MOTOR DISASSEMBLY METHOD
1) Using a short screwdriver, loosen one SCREW in DRAIN PIPE ASSEMBLY and one connected to the MOTOR COVER.
2) Pull and separate the FAN ASSEMBLY and MOTOR turning counterclockwise based on the MOTOR SHAFT.
The assembly is in the reverse order of the disassembly and take special care for the following details.
1. Be careful not to bend the tube during assembly.
2. Press the WATER DISPENSER button until water pours out and check for leakage in the CONNECTOR TUBE (It differs by the water pressure but usually takes about 2 minutes until water pours out.)
For directions with pictures, you can send in your e-mail address and I'll send them out to you.