Umc5200bas06 model microwave no power (would not turn on and no clock display)
Stephen L. • Corpus Christi, TX • February 11, 2015
Appliance: Whirlpool Countertop Microwave 2.0 Cu. Ft. UMC5200BAS06
My Repair & Advice
Removed microwave from the built in cabinet (probably the hardest part) and took off top cover (screws on side and back). Had previously blown the power fuse 2 times in this microwave, so I checked the fuse first using an ohmmeter. This time fuse was good. Traced the power wires around to top side of microwave and saw the overheat "therm" switch. I believe the therm is installed there as a safety feature to open the power circuit to the microwave in case something was to overheat for any reason. Checked the therm switch with ohmmeter and found it was open. Since it was obvious the microwave was not overheating, with power still disconnected, verified this was the problem by disconnecting the 2 spade type connectors from the therm and temporarily installing a small section of wire between the 2 female spade connectors (bypassing around the therm). Being careful not to touch anything in the open cabinet, I plugged microwave back in and verified it would turn on. Ordered replacement "therm" and a couple of extra fuses (at a much better price than was advertised on another website). Parts came in 3 days later and the installation took about 10 minutes including putting the cover back on. The therm is attached by a couple of small metal "tangs" which are loosened by slight prying with a screwdriver and then bent back after installing the new therm. All working well since.