Failed dual element switch on whirlpool ceramic cooktop model #gjc3034gb0
Rodney S. • Kuttawa, KY • August 17, 2014
Appliance: Whirlpool Electric Built-in Cooktop GJC3034GB0
My Repair & Advice
This cooktop has a dual element with an inner burner surrounded by an outer burner. The switch controls either the inner burner alone or both. The switch failed in that it would not operate the inner burner by itself, both burners would come on and only on high. On 8/14/2014 I replaced the failed dual element switch as follows:
• Turned power off to cooktop.
• Removed unit from cabinet.
• Removed metal edging and glass top.
• Removed screws holding switch panel access underside.
• Removed old switch from panel but left wires on.
• Reconnected wires to new switch according to instructions.
• Attached new switch to panel and reinstalled panel.
• Made sure heating elements were still in correct position.
• Re-installed glass top and edging and dropped unit in opening.
• Tested switch. Functioned normally.
I ordered the switch around noon and it arrived the next day before noon. Excellent service.