I have kenmore elite microwave model # 401.88523900, when you close the door and put a time in and press start the bulb lights up but the turntable wont move and the start button is useless. What could this be? I normally work on things myself but I know microwaves are a totally different animal. I just need a little insight before I decide to tackle this. Thanks for your help
If the unit starts up but the turntable motor is not working then you will want to take the screws from the base of the unit and drop the base down to expose the motor. You will need to turn on the unit with a cup of water in it. Check for 120 vac to the motor. If there is not power then replace the control board and if there is power then the turntable motor is bad.
My microwave stopped working. It sounds like it runs, but does not heat anything (and kinda smells like burning wires when I turn it on).
What do you think needs to be replaced? The unit is a year old and I hate to replace it already...
Answer Hello Pat. You most likely have a "high voltage" side malfunction. Transformer, diode, magnetron, Capacitor. You will need to be extremely careful if you decide to test the components with a multi meter, Very high residual voltage is present, so make sure you remove power to the microwave and short across the terminals on the capacitor. The magnetron should have a reading of less than 1 ohm resistance across the two terminals, and an "open" circuit between each terminal and chassis ground. The diode/rectifyer should have a resistance reading in one direction only, no reistance, or resistance in both directions indicate a faulry diode. The primary winding on the trans former should read approximately 450 Ohms resistance, the secondary wonding should read 80 ohms resitance, and the filament transformer should read 100 ohms resistance. If all the readings are proper and in range, replace the magnetron.