Just to be clean, a follow up set of question:
Everything on the Whirlpool microwave works except the light. The beeps work for the light button but no light (tried two new bulbs). So by shorting out the light socket I blew out something on the board that sends juice to the light socket??? The only way to have the light work again is by replacing the whole board?
Answer Hello Ted. Yes, that is correct. The board has a relay that sends power to the light when the button is selected. The fuse is not for the light, it is for the whole unit. You will need to replace the control board 8206534. If you remove the outer cover off the unit, you can test the fuse. It is located inside the unit. According to the wiring diagram, the light is tied into the control board. Hope this helps.