Start button was broke off in the gray part of the control board on our whirlpool cabrio dryer
Curtis S. • Gregory, SD • January 06, 2015
Appliance: Whirlpool 29" Electric Dryer WED6600VW0
My Repair & Advice Featured Story
There is a video on youtube that talks about how to disassemble the electronic component out of the control board so I really won't go into that part of it. This disassembly of the control board will need to take place before you can even get started taking the gray piece out of the console to replace it. Be careful not break off the little tips behind the control knob, don't force it, it does come apart easily and there is an easy way to do it, that is also on youtube.
This is where the lack of information starts on how to fix this. I did not find a signal bit of information on how to separate the gray piece that holds all the plastic buttons that are apparently prone to breaking. This would have been an easy fix had the front panel of the console not been glued on to the console and the front panel not been glued to the electronic control board that needed to be replaced.
First I took an o-ring pick and took off the little metal holding washers. Using the bent side of the pick, I pried the washer teeth away from the plastic peg, being careful not to break the peg or screw up the washer because you will need to use them again. Once I got those off I carefully took the pointed side of an o-ring pick and wedged the pick in between the front panel and the console always pushing the point of the pick away from the front panel trying not to break the front panel. You will then hear periodic cracking as if you are breaking the front panel but what is really happening is the glue is breaking free between the console and the front panel. I continued to work around the outside of console separating it from the front panel and also squeezing the gray clips together so that the console would separate itself from the control board. Now that that glue layer was broke free and the console was now separated from the control board.
I had to get the control board separated from the front panel. This was not easy as these two parts were well glued together. But working this in much the same manner, I took the o-ring pic and wedged it in between the two pieces, always pushing the point away from the front panel and trying not to stab myself. Once I heard the first crack and created myself some room between the two pieces, I stuck a needle nose set of pliers between the front panel and control board and continued to work around the outside of the two pieces. There are 4 little holding clips in the middle of the front panel that help hold the gray piece to the front panel, you might have to squeeze these together as you are separating the gray part from the front panel. Now that I had the gray part separated from the front panel, the actual replacement could finally happen. I took all the protective plastic off of the new control panel I received, attached it to the front panel making sure the little clips lined up and just pressed it together without glue, listening for the clicking noise of the clips locking in. Then I pressed the front panel attached to the electronic control board through the hole in the console, making sure all the gray clips snapped into place. I then proceeded to put the 6 holding washers back on the pegs that poked through corresponding holes on the console. Hooked up the wire from the control board to the dryer and I was done.