We replaced the main control board. The panel did light up, but did not work. My husband tried to program the board, now the display does not light up and the refrigerator does not work.
Answer Hello Edna,
This control has to be programmed with the program code found on the units' I.D. tag. Follow these directions for the Programming Mode:
NOTE: The Program Code is located on the Serial Plate on this unit after the word Code.
1. Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad Door Alarm.
2. Press and hold Freezer Temperature Down Keypad.
3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad Door Alarm and wait 3 seconds.
4. The control will display PE to indicate the programming mode.
5. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Freezer Temperature Down Keypad once more.
6. The control will display the current Program CODE. This value should be validated with the Program CODE printed on the unit serial plate.
NOTE: If the Program CODE is correct, the Programming Mode is exited by pressing Door Alarm Keypad for 3 seconds.
7. Press the Refrigerator Temperature Up Keypad or Refrigerator Down Keypad to change the digit value with each key press.
8. The decimal point indicates the selected digit. Press the Freezer Temperature Up Keypad to select the next digit.
9. Once the desired Program CODE is entered, press and hold the Freezer Temperature Down Keypad until the Program CODE begins flashing indicating it has been saved.
NOTE: If you attempt to enter an invalid Program CODE the control will not save the new code, but will beep. (The unit will NOT run with a Program CODE of 0000).Once the Program CODE has been saved the Programming Mode is exited by pressing any key. If the new code is incorrect this process should be repeated.
The Programming mode can be exited at any time by pressing Door Alarm key for 3 seconds or will exit if unattended for four minutes.
Hello, I have a refrigerator with key failure on the touchpad. It is a 2010 stainless steel Whirlpool with bottom mount freezer and dispenser. The touch pad keys are not working in three functions: #1- The water dispenser key will not activate when pushed. #2- The refrigerator temperature control arrow up key will not increase the temperature, but will lower the temperature. #3- The dispenser light key doesn't function when pushed. Checking which part may be required for these malfunctions? Thanks, Randy
Answer Hello Randy,
This will either be the connection at the ribbon cable, the overlay W10315980, or the electronic control W10162500. The first thing you need to do is remove the control panel and un-plug the ribbon cable. Now using the eraser of a regular pencil on the traces, only rub the traces in the direction the traces run. This prevents damage to the traces because if you're not careful the traces will peel off of the plastic and the overlay will have to be replaced anyway. If this doesn't correct the issue, I would first replace the overlay since it is the most probable cause of the complaint and it is the cheaper of the two parts. If that doesn't do it, the electronic control is the next most probable cause.