Gas dryer not producing enough heat then no heat at all
Matt J. • Bartonville, IL • December 21, 2014
Appliance: Amana Dryer-Gas DLG330RAW
My Repair & Advice Featured Story
I consider myself moderately-skilled at home repairs, but until now I hadn't had the need to repair a gas dryer. We've owned several over the years, and I fully expected to have to replace this one when it started producing less and less heat, then no heat at all over the course of about a month.
Feeling brave, I searched the heating issue for my particular dryer model on this website, and this part was suggested as the most likely fix, even though it wasn't the most expensive part, which was nice. For a ten-year old dryer that otherwise works, I thought a $20 part purchase might be worth the effort, compared to the $600 replacement option. I watched the step-by-step repair video on the part page and thought I could probably execute the plan. The part arrived in just over 1 business day (ordered over the weekend, shipped Monday, received Tuesday). The video mentioned model differences (some have an access panel below the door, some don't) but showed the work (on the model without the small access panel) taking place in a relatively large space, so I uninstalled my dryer and moved it into another room to make the repair. After about an hour of trying to get the front clips to release so I could tip the top back onto its hinges and remove the drum, etc. to access the burner assembly, I determined that my model couldn't be opened that way. At this point I was about to give up and buy a new dryer..then I noticed the two screws (mentioned in the video, but I apparently didn't pay attention) at the bottom front of the unit. I removed them, slipped the access panel off, and there within easy reach was the part that needed to be replaced. It turns out that I didn't even have to uninstall the dryer at all, though it did give me an opportunity to thoroughly clean it. Oh, well. A mere five minutes later, and exactly according to the video instructions, I replaced the gas valve coil, and had it back together. Ten more minutes, and I had the dryer re-installed. Then for the moment of truth: I fired that baby up, and there was glorious heat coursing through the drum. We were back in business, for about $20, including shipping. All together, it took me less than 2 hours to save nearly $600 and a full day of retail appliance-buying hassle. Thanks for the correct advice the first time, quick shipping, and an extremely helpful video. You guys rock!
People found this story helpful
Repair Time Estimate