I cannot remove the drive bell (item 5) that "pulls" off the shaft. Have tried using a mallet, but won't loosen up. Any suggestions? I understand that this item doesn't need a spanner wrench to remove it. Is this correct? Will replacing the seal under it stop leaking under the tub?
Answer John, I would not expect the "drive bell kit" R9900189 to solve the leak from the tub issue. You should consider the "hub and seal kit"
R9900552 . And also consider a "gear puller" from a local auto parts supply store. Quite often the drive bell has a tendency to seize to the agitation shaft, and you have to use a little bit of penetrating oil and a gear puller to remove it. Thanks and Good Luck
My agitator only turns in one direction. What part might need to be replaced? Thank you.
Answer Hello Loretta. Check and see if the drive bell R9900189 is stripped out. if so, you will need to replace the drive bell. Hope this helps.
I have a leak from the outer plastic tub. I need to know how to remove the top cover and gasket inside the tub, and how to remove both tubs in-order to find the break. Thanks !
Answer Hello Rosey. Here are the instructions from the manufacture. Hope this helps.
Tub Cover and Gasket
1. There are eight tub cover hold-down tabs which snap
over the outer tub flange. Push downward on tub
cover, this will release the tension on the hold-down
tab on the tub cover. Pull out on the flap and at the
same time lift upward on cover to unsnap hold-down
tabs from outer tub flange. One by one, disengage
each of the eight hold-down tabs from outer tub
flange and remove cover.
2. Remove tub cover from outer tub and remove old
gasket from tub cover.
NOTE: When installing outer tub cover, always use a
new cover gasket.
NOTE: Clean and remove any foreign material in
gasket groove of outer tub cover and outer tub
3. Press gasket down into gasket groove of tub cover.
Avoid pressing gasket past ends of hold-down tabs.
NOTE: Care must be taken not to twist or bunch gasket
in any one area to avoid leaks after assembly.
4. Install gasket past ends of hold-down tabs to bottom
of gasket groove using semi-curled end of tub cover
gasket tool Part No. 273P4.
NOTE: Tub cover gasket tool, Part No. 273P4, is
designed to spread open hold-down tabs to
prevent tearing of gasket during installation.
5. Lower cover and press down firmly on top of
tub cover until tabs snap over edge of outer tub
6. Cross over to opposite side of tub cover and press
down firmly on top of hold-down tabs until tabs snap
over edge of outer tub flange. Continue with this
crisscross pattern, until tub cover is fully seated.
Visually check each tab area again to ensure cover
Washtub and Balance Ring
1. Open loading door.
2. Remove agitator, see “Agitator” procedure.
3. Loosen cabinet top, see “Cabinet Top” procedure
steps 2 through 4.
4. Hinge cabinet top open to gain access.
5. Loosen and remove hose clamp and fill hose from
outer tub cover.
6. Remove tub cover, see “Tub Cover and Gasket”
procedure, steps 1 through 2.
7. Remove bolts and washers securing washtub to hub.
8. Lift washtub and balance ring out of outer tub.
NOTE: When removing washtub and balance ring, DO
NOT lift up on balance ring damage may occur.
Grasp top flange of washtub and remove from
9. Reverse procedure to reassemble.
NOTE: When installing washtub, verify lint filter is
between underside of washtub and hub.
1. Remove agitator, see “Agitator” procedure.
2. Loosen cabinet top, see “Cabinet Top” procedure
steps 2 through 4.
3. Remove tub cover and gasket, see “Tub Cover and
4. Loosen and remove hose clamp securing pump hose
to pump. This will allow water to be drained from the
5. Remove washtub and balance ring, see “Washtub
and Balance Ring” procedure.
6. Remove large hex nut using No. 306P4 Hex Wrench.
Then remove spline insert from transmission tube.
NOTE: Use new spline insert each time the hex nut is
removed. DO NOT reuse the old insert as hex
nut may loosen during the washer operation.
7. Remove hub from splines on transmission shaft.
NOTE: It may be necessary to use a gear puller to
8. Remove old water seal from outer tub.
NOTE: Use care when removing old seal so as not to
damage tub flange.
NOTE: When reinstalling or replacing outer tub, always
install a new Hub and Seal Kit.
9. Using No. 289P4 Spring Hook Tool, unhook six
springs from lower edge of outer tub.
NOTE: When installing springs, verify spring hook is
fully seated in hole in tub skirt. Mark the word
“FRONT” on front side of outer tub so complete
tub module can be reinstalled in same position.
10.Grasp outer tub and lift complete tub module
assembly up and out of washer cabinet.
11. Turn outer tub upside-down and set on a protective
12.Loosen hose clamp and remove hose from bottom of
13.Loosen hose clamp and remove pressure hose from
14.Remove screws and lockwashers securing
counterweight and each support leg to outer tub
weldment. Lift transmission, weldment assembly and
counterweight off tub.
15.Remove screws securing outer tub bottom to plastic
16.Turn outer tub upright and remove pressure bulb and
17.Reverse procedure to reassemble.
NOTE: When installing grommet into outer tub, thicker
lip of grommet must be installed to outside of
tub. Lubricate outer surface of large opening of
pressure bulb with liquid soap to aid when
assembling pressure bulb into grommet.