When my wife started the microwave, there was a loud pop. She shut it off. I started it and it popped again. Subsequent starts yielded no more pops. The food heated up normally.
What would cause the loud pop?
Answer Hello Gerald. There may have been something hit the fan blades. Honestly, there is no way of knowing if the unit is working fine now. If it does it again, remove the cover and look for a wire close to metal maybe arching? Can also, check for something in the fan blade.
Whirlpool Gold Microwave has stopped heating, we are assuming its the magnetron.
Answer Hello Betsy. You most likely have a "high voltage" side malfunction. Transformer, diode, magnetron, Capacitor. You will need to be extremely careful if you decide to test the components with a multi meter, Very high residual voltage is present, so make sure you remove power to the microwave and short across the terminals on the capacitor. The magnetron should have a reading of less than 1 ohm resistance across the two terminals, and an "open" circuit between each terminal and chassis ground. The diode/rectifier should have a resistance reading in one direction only, no resistance, or resistance in both directions indicate a faulty diode. The primary winding on the trans former should read approximately 450 Ohms resistance, the secondary winding should read 80 ohms resistance, and the filament transformer should read 100 ohms resistance. If all the readings are proper and in range, replace the magnetron.
How to access and replace the magnetron and diode?
Answer Hello Richard. You need to remove the outer cover off the microwave to access and replace the magnetron and diode on the unit.